Isotooppitutkimuksia* on tehty terveiden henkilöiden colon-alueella muodostuneitten lyhyitten rasvahappojen (SCFA) systeemisestä saatavuudesta ja aineenvaihdunnasta.
J Physiol. 2016 Aug 11. doi: 10.1113/JP272613. [Epub ahead of print]
Systemic availability and metabolism of colonic-derived short-chain fatty acids in healthy subjects - a stable isotope study.
Boets E1,2, Gomand SV2,3, Deroover L1,2, Preston T4, Vermeulen K5, De Preter V1,6, Hamer H1,2, Van den Mooter G7, De Vuyst L8, Courtin CM2,3, Annaert P7, Delcour JA2,3, Verbeke KA1,2.
Lyhytketjuiset tyydyttyneet rasvahapot etikkahappo C2:0), propionihappo(C3:0) ja voihappo( C4:0) ovat bakteerien aineenvaihduntatuotteita, jotka välittävät vuorovaikutusta dieetin, mikrobifloran ja isäntäkehon kesken.
- The short-chain fatty acids (SCFAs), acetate, propionate and butyrate are bacterial metabolites that mediate the interaction between diet, the microbiota and the host.
- In this study, the systemic availability of SCFAs and their incorporation into biologically relevant molecules was quantified.
- Known amounts of 13 C-labelled acetate, propionate and butyrate were introduced in the colon of 12 healthy subjects using colon delivery capsules and plasma levels of 13 C-SCFAs and of 13 C-glucose, 13 C-cholesterol and 13 C-fatty acids were measured. The butyrate producing capacity of the intestinal microbiota was quantified as well.
- Systemic availability of colonic-administered acetate, propionate and butyrate was 36%, 9% and 2%, respectively. Conversion of acetate into butyrate (24%) was the most prevalent interconversion by the colonic microbiota and was not related to the butyrate-producing capacity in the faecal samples.
- Less than 1% of administered acetate was incorporated into cholesterol and < 15% in fatty acids. On average, 6% of colonic propionate was incorporated into glucose. The SCFAs were mainly excreted via the lungs after oxidation to 13 CO2 whereas less than 0.05% of the SCFAs were excreted into urine.
- These results will allow future evaluation and quantification of SCFAs production from 13 C-labelled fibres in the human colon by measuring 13 C-labelled SCFA concentrations in blood.
- This article is protected by copyright. All rights reserved.